Happy New Year! It is 2011 and both of us are looking forward to 365 days of reading great books this year (364 to go at time of posting!). Today I’m going to share my picks of 11 new releases and 11 previous releases that I’m looking forward to reading in the new year. Check back in a few days for Nora’s picks!
2011 Releases that I’m excited for:
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight #40 by Joss Whedon and Georges Jeanty (January 19th, 2011) – will the finale of Season Eight measure up to the outstanding finales of the television series? (for me, The Gift and Chosen, but gotta give some extra credit points for the “me” moment in Becoming Part 2) Can’t wait for Season 9!
2. Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Feb. 1st, 2011) – I’m not sure if dystopian romance is my genre (dystopian yes, romance eh?) but have been hearing amazing reviews of this one and will have to check it out.
3. Shine by Lauren Myracle (Apr. 1st, 2011) – I like a little mystery in my books and this one sounds like a real page-turner.
4. Huntress by Malinda Lo (April 5th, 2011) – Loved loved loved Malinda Lo’s Ash – would basically read anything that she chose to write, no matter the topic or genre – that this is a prequel to Ash is just icing on the cake.
5. Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor (April 14th, 2011) – a young albino woman from the U.S. living in Nigeria learns that she has magical powers and finally finds a place where she fits – sounds good to me! Plus, I’ve been dying to read Nnedi Okorafor (see more below!).
6. Boyfriends With Girlfriends by Alex Sanchez (April 19th, 2011) – my friend Nory may never forgive me if another year goes by without my reading some Alex Sanchez.
7. Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn’t Have) by Sarah Mlynowski (June 21st, 2011) – this sounds like a fun, light read – something that I definitely need every once in a while, what with all my dystopian lit selections.
9. Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter (June 21st, 2011) – Heist Society was a surprise favorite of mine in 2010 – excited for the sequel!
10. Sweetly by Jackson Pearce (August 23rd, 2011) – I haven’t read any Jackson Pearce yet, but I love me a little twisted fairy-tale.
11. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore – fingers crossed for a 2011 release!
Other titles that I am excited to read in 2011!
1. everything/anything by Nnedi Okorafor – her work sounds right up my alley!
3. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan – I know, I know, I should have read this already. I’m pacing myself.
4. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness –
I bought a copy with a Xmas gift card this year and am hoping that my possession of the book will help speed this one up my TBR list (it has been there too long).
6. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin – have been wanting to read this for a while now – finally got a copy for myself – hip hip…
7. Luna by Julie Anne Peters – got this from my mom for Xmas – first heard about it from one of my favorite blogs – excited to check it out!
9. Angel: After The Fall by Brian Lynch, Joss Whedon, etc. – the whole lot of ’em – my recent re-watch of the television series, Angel, has left me craving some more character and plot development for these friends (heck, even the enemies – what I wouldn’t do for some more Lila Morgan!). I’ve read a few installments of the graphic novel series, but want to start right up from the “beginning” this year.
10. Fables (created and written by Bill Willingham) and Runaways (created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona) – I want to pick up where I left off with both of these graphic novel series. I was really enjoying both at different points in the past two years and accidentally fell off track. I especially want to get caught up with Runaways before the movie comes out (crossing my fingers they do it right/well).
11. Shiver & Linger by Maggie Stiefvater – I’m not sure if werewolves and romance are the right combo for me, but I’ve heard that Stiefvater is a strong writer, so I’m eager to give her a try. Perhaps I will read these marathon-style leading up to the 2011 release of Forever.
Don’t forget to check back soon for Nora’s list of books that she is highly anticipating reading in 2011! In the meantime, what are you looking forward to reading in the new year?!